In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Iraqi interpreters

The unsung hero in this war is the Iraqi interpreter. We work with a dozen native Iraqis who provide linguistic support to our public affairs operations. From translating our stories for local release to interpreting conversations between soldiers and Iraqi reporters, we could not effectively tell the story to the Iraq population without their help.
Although they are well compensated, they don’t work for us just for the money. They work to combat the mindset among their people established by Saddam Hussein and so their families can enjoy freedom.
Despite their love for Iraq and its people, interpreters are hunted by the same people who want to see this historic country fail and turned into another dictatorship. Three weeks ago, terrorists followed one of our translators home and fired three bullets in her back as she stepped out of a taxi cab. The terrorists target the families, too. They learned of one interpreter, who belonged to a high-profile, well-off family. These criminals waited until the translator’s mother and father were home alone, walking into their large house with AK 47s. The details of what they did are too horrific to explain, but I will tell you that the couple’s daughter still works for us.
Just as I am motivated to help the Iraqi people through words and photographs, our interpreters do not let death threats affect their determination to make Iraq a better place.
Despite the dark rings outlining their eyes from lack of sleep and constant fear, they get to work at 8:30 a.m. and do not leave until as late as 9:00 p.m. Why?
One interpreter, who wished to be unnamed for security purposes, told me: “God bless America for sending their soldiers to help the Iraqi people. I thank them. I believe they are truly doing good work here and that by working hard, I am contributing to the future of Iraq. I am helping my wife and my baby.”
He’s also making a lot of friends. There’s not one person in uniform who doesn’t relate to our interpreters. I’m doing the best I can to learn Arabic, a very difficult language, and the translators are improving their English by talking to us all the time. But, the most interesting aspect of our relationship is the fusion of two very different cultures. For example, they are afraid of Microwaves. Popcorn is popular among the soldiers here, and when we place a bag in the Microwave, the interpreters take off running for cover as if the bag contained nuclear explosives.
In meetings, they will leave to pray. They break five times a day to pray. At first, I didn’t know how to react to somebody sitting on their knees kissing the floor. But, now I appreciate their faith and most of all I appreciate their friendship and dedication to rebuilding Iraq despite the constant danger.
That’s why I call my Sadikis (Arabic for friends) Batal (Arabic for heroes).

12 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, I came stumbled on a blog pretty similar to yours earlier today. I also have one that pretty much talks about work at home career related stuff. You should check it out sometime.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about real work at home jobs related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

Just visited your blog, it's great. I have a jobs seeking website which is informative and you can find info of different job natures, hope that it will be useful in your job seeking

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Work From Home Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about idea home work
so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Swingin80 said...

Cool blog you have. I have a work at home program related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is work at home program

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger David Pakman said...

Hey, excellent website. A great Iraq resource is Deaths in Iraq. It breaks all of the casualties down by age, race, branch of the military, country, etc.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I have created a Facebook Group to help raise awareness of this issue:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4093644522

Please join and help spread the word.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger dhd said...

Today is the gold für wow second day of 2009 ,world of warcraft gold it also a mesos special for me .cheap wow gold Because i have cheap maplestory mesos a chance to go to an english speech of LiYang and crazy to learn english follow him . He is a firendly,kindly person who make me feel good.wow gold kaufen What‘s more ,maple story mesos he very confidence .And he make me sure what he can do i also can do,as long as i make a determination and force myself to do it every second,Crazy just like him .wow geld I learn one setence from his book ever :maple story items If you want to succeed always force yourself to do more .I can't agree more with him .wow gold farmen To be honest ,when i was a littel girl i already fall in love with english.But what a pity i am poor in english ,Maple Story Account and it make me feel frustrating .So i want to give up many times ,but i can't as i still love it .So i tell mysefl :if you think you can you can wow leveling,and all your maple story power leveling hard work will pay off.wow power leveling Today i am very happy i can listien this wonderful speech of LiYang. I reap a great benifits from him .maple story money As he say :i am the best ,and every one can do it . world of warcraft power leveling Yes,i belive i can do it if i crazy as he

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Adli Yusof said...

Hi,

Wow! Great post! Very informative & can guide me in future. Keep blogging with new post! Unique and very useful to follower....

Cheers,
caillou videos | caillou games | caillou party supplies

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger huhu said...

If you hang the plants high enough ed hardy wholesale will never reach the ground so you no longer have to worry about wholesale ed hardy rotting from touching the ground. polo shoesGrowing tomatoes upside down involves planting the ugg boots in a container instead of polo boots in the garden. You can purchase moncler to do this but I like to go it on my own. However, moncler jackets do give you the option of having a beautiful moncler coats inspired dress without entirely diverting your hard earned funds to your ankh royalty. Can you imagine wearing a dress ankh royalty clothing does not pass your ideal dress to wear ankh royalty T shirt on your wedding day? If you can commit enough time for designing your own ankh royalty outlet, you can do it very easily!Twisted HeartHave you ever had an experience of not having a dress in your mind?

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger aiya said...

Obama Is Lying<1>Office 2010When was the last time the MSM took a Republican's side in a fight over credibility with a Democratic opponent? Well, it has been a while. Microsoft Office 2010
However, conservatives have little to grumble about in the recent face-off between Barack Obama and John McCain over McCain's statement that Microsoft wordtroops might have to remain for "100 years" in Iraq "as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed" after Office 2007Microsoft OfficeMicrosoft Office 2007 Office 2007 keyOffice 2007 downloadOutlook 2010Windows 7Microsoft outlookMicrosoft outlook 2010

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Thanks for great share :)

EWA review
Affiliate review
pc games download
download gta 4 for pc free
Blam ads review
cpatank review
wolf storm media review
Ndemand review
Download Shift 2 Unleashed Free

 

Post a Comment

<< Home