In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Sunday, December 05, 2004

In memory of two great soldiers: The mission continues

The news struck me harder than a derailed train smacking into a brick wall. Two soldiers died yesterday and four were wounded. I knew them, and they were not only great soldiers, they were great people. The Soldiers killed both were married to beautiful women. One was a soft-spoken professional. The other reminded me of Woody Harrelson in “Cowboy Up.” Tough, rugged and a smart ass. Great men!

When an RPG impacted on the side of a mosque, their squad moved to the site of impact to make sure nobody was hurt and challenge any possible terrorists. Turns out, the RPG into the mosque was only a decoy. The insurgents know we don’t like to see civilians or innocent people bleed to death, so they waited at a nearby mosque to ambush them. The insurgents fired upon the squad as the GIs moved into an open area and killed the two soldiers. They were ambushed or as the surviving soldiers put it “set up.”

Shortly after the firefight, the leadership made the call to go inside the mosque that was hit and where the insurgents were firing from. As you may recall from a previous post, we don’t do this unless we absolutely have to. That’s where I come in. I had about 15 minutes notice when I heard, “get your camera; you’re going into the mosque.” Now, that’s something you don’t hear every day, I thought to myself. They said I was going into a very hostile situation that would result in the most-important pictures I’ve ever taken.

An entire convoy was organized just to get me there. The trip was by far the most intense I’ve been on. The streets were completely empty except for the occasional car. A single vehicle on an empty road can only mean one thing: car bomb. Every single car I saw, my stomach turned in more knots than a Boy Scout training rope. Luckily, none were car bombs. We jumped over curbs and drove as fast as a hummer will go.

On the road, my adrenaline was high and I was still trying to process everything. One minute, I’m snacking on some goodies my mom sent me in a care package. The next, I learn two of my friends were killed and that I will be the first non-Muslim, American photographer to step foot in an Iraqi mosque.

The trip went by so fast it felt as though I blinked and I was already there.

As the black, steel gated entrance to the mosque opened, my heart pounded and my hands shook. I saw the area my two buddies were killed and I could hear gunfire. But I was focused. All I could think about was taking that one photo to illustrate to the world just how crappy these people we’re fighting really are. They fire from mosques, kill women, children and are holding this country back from its potential. Graffiti, weapons or anything unordinary were all to be photographed. How was I supposed to know what was unordinary in a mosque? I didn’t, so I took pictures of everything.

As my feet touched the mosque’s concrete floor, I saw Iraqi and American soldiers working side-by-side for a sole purpose: to find the contraband in the mosque. I moved into the main room that appeared to be the worship area. It was open, no furniture other than a few chests in the corners. Beautiful Persian rugs covered floor. There was a microphone and a mini stool at a small, little room that looked like a closet in the middle, back wall. No doubt, somebody had spread anti-American comments to the community from that very microphone. A clock with six-different time zones hung on the wall. I took pictures of everything. Then, one of the Iraqis opened a drawer from one of the corner cabinets, pulled out a piece of paper and started screaming in English “bad, bad, bad.” It was propaganda. As my finger touched the shutter, I heard a gun shot that sounded awfully close. “We’re going to the next mosque,” somebody yelled.

I sprinted to the Humvee. The next mosque was only seconds away. I was surprised how similar it was to the previous mosque. I really thought we just circled the block and went back to the same place, but we didn’t. Even though I can’t read Arabic, I could tell the graffiti on the walls was different. I photographed the graffiti. Turns out, they weren’t saying good things about us. Inside this mosque, we found grenades, weapons, RPGs and more propaganda.

As we were leaving to return to the camp, somebody told me that they will not be able to use the mosque again for worship until it is cleansed, which is apparently a long process. Unless storing weapons and death-threat handbills is worshiping, I don’t think Alah or God would mind that these mosques won’t be used for awhile.

35 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger Kim said...

The history you are recording is priceless... stay safe and keep writing!

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Kim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger ac blue eagle said...

Good story.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

How do we get to see these pictures? Keep safe and,, Hang in there!

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have not heard from you in a few days, hope you are safe and are back to write soon.

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is over there and worked with SGT Mitts and SSGT T. He got online the night it happened and was terribly upset. He couldn't tell me anything but watch the news...which made my stomach turn even more. I didn't know SSGT T but I knew Sgt Mitts. He was a great guy!! I pray that the wives of these two men can find some comfort knowing how much they loved them. I can only imagine how terrible it is for them. Is there any way that you can send me the pictures you take over there?? I am making my husband an Army/Iraq scrapbook and I know that he would love to have those pictures. If you can, my e-mail address is armymcclure@yahoo.com. I know that my husband kinda feels like SSGT T did about the photographers around them just because they feel like they have to protect you guys too...it's a lot on their shoulders. You are doing a great thing over there. Please tell me where you are posting your pictures or if you could e-mail them to me, that would be great too!! Thanks!
Kayla M.

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

same here...where can we go to see pictures of ssgt t and mitts?

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger 8709 said...

Interesting blog you have here, I landed here on accident. I was searcing for something else and came across your site. I found it pretty interesting and entertaining. I got you book marked.

I will pop back in from time to time to see what you have new here.

My site is a bit different than yours, but just as entertaining and educational, I run a mens male enhancement reviews related site pertaining to mens male enhancement reviews related articles.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger freestuff2 said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a italian american single
blog/site. I mostly deals with italian american single
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Jack Naka said...

Keep it up. I enjoy your nice blog. check out my gothic fashion site. It pretty much covers gothic fashion related stuff.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hi, I was just looking around some blogs and checking different templates for ideas. Good blog with a nice template. I can start my own blog on ebooks thanks to your blog. I will visit weekly by the way. Like your ideas.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Quit Smoking said...

I found you while surfing for interesting blogs. I like it, good content. I've left an invitation to you to visit me if you are into ebooks - Thanks, Neil

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Clickbank Mall said...

Nice blog. Have you seen your google rating? BlogFlux It's Free and you can add a Little Script to your site that will tell everyone your ranking. I think yours was a 3. I guess you'll have to check it out.

Computer News
Microsoft-Google battle heats up

Microsoft's chief executive vowed to "kill Google" in an expletive-laden tirade against the firm, according to US court documents filed by Google.

The claim was made in a sworn statement by Mark Lucovsky, a former Microsoft employee who quit for Google in 2004.

Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer has denied the claims, saying they are a "gross exaggeration of what actually took place".

The statement is the latest salvo in a bitter legal battle between the firms.

In his sworn statement, Mr Lucovsky - a key Windows architect - alleged that Mr Ballmer hurled a chair across the room when he informed him he was moving to Google, before launching into an abusive tirade against Google's chief executive Eric Schmidt.

However, Mr Ballmer has dismissed the claims.

"Mark's decision to leave was disappointing and I urged him strongly to change his mind. But his characterisation of that meeting is not accurate," he said in a statement.

Bitter row
The row between the two firms was triggered when one of Microsoft's vice presidents, Dr Kai-Fu Lee, was hired by Google to set up a research centre in China.

Microsoft claimed the move was a violation of a one-year non-compete clause in his contract and began legal action against the search engine giant.

However, Google has retaliated by claiming that Microsoft's action is a form of intimidation designed to eliminate the threat of a fast-growing rival.

The group has been moving further into the software arena - most recently with the launch of Talk, a service which lets e-mail account holders talk to each other via a PC, microphone and speakers.

The system is a direct threat to online voice and instant messaging service providers such as Skype, Microsoft and Yahoo.

Microsoft won the first round of the increasingly bitter battle between the two firms in July, when a King County Superior Court judge issued a temporary order barring Mr Lee from carrying out the duties he had been hired to do for Google.

The two sides will face each other in court again on Tuesday when Microsoft will ask a court to extend that order until the matter comes to trial in January.


About the Author: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4213466.stm
Copyright © - 2005 Entireweb

=============================================
Browsers...

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger usa said...

Great Blog! Ilike it.I have Free dating site for singlesTake a look if you have a minute. Thanks and have a good one!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger webcams said...

Nice blog you have here! If you get a chance you may want to visit this stop smoking site, it's a very nice site.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at sports bar


Keep in touch :)

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Dominicans resources said...

FREE Wordpress Hosted Blogs With 10 Customised Templates To Choose From at Blogsilla.com

people search canada

Free unlimited number of blogs

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For more news and information about american eagle gun safe. Have a look at this site american eagle gun safe. You may find it useful as well.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Cash Advance Man said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

It'll be in a totally different area than yours (mine is about danger of smoking) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly about danger of smoking related articles and subjects.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger DailyLinks said...

Digital Clock

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Ebooks Made Simple said...

It must have taken you hours to get your blog to this standard.

I have a bible ebook site/blog. It pretty much covers bible ebook related stuff.

Regards,
Mark

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a marketing company site/blog. It pretty much covers marketing company related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a online business internet marketing computer site/blog. It pretty much covers online business internet marketing computer related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Erik Mann said...

Nice blog with interesting topics. I have a website that offers alot of controversial topics here. Just go to the links page and look for "Video Reviews"

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger The Blah Brain said...

Yeah Wordpress rocks, I recently switched.. I'm trying to find a cool template that I like.. so far i like the one i have now - anyway, my blog's url is www.theblahbrain.com I've got a page rank of 4 [if you know anything about page ranks and search engine optimization] and 309 pages indexed in google.. unfortunately it isn't more than that... anyway...you've got a great blog here! -Paul

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger George said...

This quick and easy system will automatically build you a customer email list by capturing your customer detailsbusiness softwarebusiness software

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger David Pakman said...

Hey, excellent website. A great Iraq resource is Deaths in Iraq. It breaks all of the casualties down by age, race, branch of the military, country, etc.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

And on a lighter note than pure scott peterson trial transcript , check out the funniest trial transcript ever! If it's not serious enough of a topic, well, just pretend it's the Brit's version of scott peterson trial transcript !

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a driven email event marketing site/blog. It pretty much covers driven email event marketing related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our driven email event marketing tools.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger clandis said...

Considering america bank bill free ? You'd do better by checking out Fee Free Bank .com . At least a $25 bonus for opening a new account, with bonuses as high as $1,500 ! You save more and get a higher interest rate to make YOUR money work for YOU.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

You have an awesome site here! I have a website that may interest you- Nintendo with get content such as- Nintendo

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Two Way Radios It pretty much covers Two Way Radios related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger haidi said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Marketing strategies**blog. It pretty much covers Marketing Strategeis articles related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger jenniferlopez said...

EARNING MONEY IN ONLINE NEVER BEEN THIS EASY AND TRANSPARENT.YOU WOULD FIND GREAT TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THAT DREAM AMOUNT EVERY DAY.SITTING IN THE HOME EARN AROUND $100 PERDAY. SO GO AHEAD AND click here FOR MORE DETAILS AND OPEN FLOODGATES TO YOUR ONLINE INCOME.

ALL THE BEST

THANQ

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger aiya said...

Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft word
Office 2007
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office 2007
Office 2007 key
Office 2007 download
Office 2007 Professional
Outlook 2010
Microsoft outlook
Microsoft outlook 2010
Windows 7

 

Post a Comment

<< Home