In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Love, the military and personals

I have this soldier. He’s the quiet, silent type who’ll smart off like you wouldn’t believe. He’s gotten his share of push ups from me, but I have to tell you: this kid knows how to play his “I’m in Iraq” card with the women. He posted his mug on a personals site, saying he’s in Iraq and constantly in danger. And man, oh man, is it paying off. This boy gets more mail in a week than I’ve gotten all year. One girl who writes him puts hearts on the envelopes and sends three letters a day. Psycho!

He receives anywhere from 10 to 50 emails a day from girls, telling him how brave he is and how they’d like to meet for “coffee.” He put a picture of himself on Hot or Not dot com, and he’s a bloody 9 just because he’s wearing a uniform. This kid purchased a cell phone just so he could call the hotter ones on his time off. His door’s often locked. Hmmmm.

Now, I’m no Brad Pitt, but I’d like to think I could hold my own with the ladies. After all, I did win third place in my high school male beauty pageant. Hey, blue eyes will take you places in this ol’ world. As this guy is quickly becoming the next Tom Cruise on personal sites, I am beginning to wonder if I have taken advantage of all the opportunities this deployment has given me.

I’ve seen the movies and heard all the stories about women loving men in uniform. To be honest, that hasn’t worked for me over the years. See, I’m not your typical man in uniform. I am insecure because I have my mother’s hips and I just need somebody who’ll listen to me and hold me. OK, I’ll cut the crap. Before I deployed, I was a walking box of tissues. I’d tell a girl I’m going to Iraq, and oh man, look at the time, shoot, I’ve gotta go. Uhhh, I left the stove on. Girls, who didn’t already know me, were afraid to get close. Some would stay distant, but wanted my email. Others just wanted me for one thing. And I have too much respect for myself to be used by women!!

To be honest, I’ve seen the strain war puts on a relationship. Two people have to be very strong to survive. I can’t tell you how many stories I’ve heard about husbands not hearing from their wives for three weeks. The next time they call, they hear another man’s voice “who’s that.” I was assigned to an infantry squad back in April, and I learned that every soldier’s wife in this squad was cheating on them. It’s not like these guys could seek retribution by pounding down a few cold ones and whipping the adulator. Nope, day in and day out, they had to worry about staying alive. What kind of person cheats on their Army husband anyway?

I’ve seen the other side too. I have another soldier who met her fiancée at a military school. I don’t think I’ve seen anybody more in love than this girl and vice versa. She occasionally relays nice messages he sends and I think wow, this war has made them stronger. Her fiancée was in Fallujah at the heart of all the battles there, and she wanted to go be with him. Imagine telling that to your kids some day… “Son, I knew your mother was the one when she hitched a ride to Fallujah to take pictures with me. She swam through the Tigris River and climbed rooftops just to be with me. And now, she won’t even compliment my hair color.”

For me, I’m just happy being single. I could post my face on a web site, but my plan is a little different. But I won’t tell; I’m the mysterious type.

13 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't the typical man and I know of a number of ladies back home who think very highly of you (despite your mom's hips!). Stay safe!

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

c'mon now, sminkie, mom's hips or no, i happen to think yer a real slayer. and i'm an old fart(or should i say...fartess?) that's been around. i like to believe that i learned a thing or two about what really matters. and no doubt, you got it! God bless ... and keep on writin'!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! My husband is over there with you, in Mosul. I could never cheat on him! I love him so much! Some women need to take a good look at themselves if they would cheat on their men...especially when they are at war. Those women don't deserve these brave men! I don't care how long I am away from my husband!! He is my life, I would NEVER want anyone else!! Thanks for keeping us updated. I asked my hubby if he knew you and he doesn't...but he worked with SGT Mitts so he probably knows your face.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I'm in a different scenerio with my Army Guy. We met online and he pursued me. He was certain from our first chat that we are soul mates. Over a couple of months and many chat sessions I had started to believe that too. But now he is pushing me away. He is evasive with me and wouldn't even give me his snail mail addr so I could send a Christmas card. He says he loves me and wants to get married to his soulmate but in the next breath, he is upset that I ask for his mailing addr. He thinks that I doubt he is in Iraq. I didn't doubt anything until he made such stink.


It's not just wives and girlfriends turning away from their mate. There are a few soldiers who tuck their tail and run when the going gets tough.

Take it from me,

The one who was cast aside.

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a good writer and I want you to know I shared this infomation with some folks here in Oklahoma State and in my home town next to the joneses. I must say my wife doesn't have big hips so I couldn't relate to that.
Please keep the sense of humor with all the things going on over there. You are a unique person.
God Bless!

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed reading this and am glad I happened upon your site :-)

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog/site to my favorites. I also have a blog/site you're invited to visit

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Becky Brown said...

I'm Becky Brown by name 5'7. Blond hair,Blue eyes: I love to laugh, can entertain, I am intelligent, honest, looking for long last relationships from an honest man, not one night stand! I live alone. I'm a non-smoker. Light social drinker. Drug free, head on straight! Professional Journalist , confident, secure in myself. Loves to spoil and be spoiled. Write me, you'll be glad you did. Truth, loving, caring, man. ,a romantic person is a PLUS!! Someone who is willing to share 100/100 in a relationship & life. No game player here. I want someone who will talk and will listen. Enjoy walks together, just having a good time, simple pleasures, picnics, I'm not impressed by your beauty, but who YOU are. I am looking for a man who would like to get to know me. Someone who is honest, happy with herself, and comfortable not running with the herd. I'd like to meet someone who can offer his presence with integrity, humor, and intelligence. A sharp wit and artistic leanings are also appreciated. Mostly I'd like to meet a man who understands that intimacy has many facets and is willing to take the risk of entering a relationship with a curious mind and heart.
Here is my email address (Beckyanduane) (at Y! dot com) i will be very glad to read a mail from you soon

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To meet singles at free Adult Dating sites online has become a craze among the young and old alike. Internet is flooded with sexy advertisements about the free adult dating sites which satisfy each and every whim of sexy singles.

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To meet singles at free Adult Dating sites online has become a craze among the young and old alike. Watch Out.

---------------------

Adult Dating

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am newly join in this site.This site is very useful to others.Anyone can join and post a profile for free but cannot respond to messages from members until they pay their membership fee. Paying users can view others' profiles and access communication services such as anonymous email, chat, webcam, a webzine, and blogging. Members can purchase higher membership levels for benefits such as higher search rankings. Members can broadcast their webcam publicly to each other. Chat room viewers can page the broadcasting member in an attempt to initiate a chat session
=======================
sharoo

Adult Dating

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Minhajul Islam said...

I actually enjoyed reading through this posting. Many thanks.
Fitzus Free Dating Friendship Community connects our members to health, fitness sports fans 100% Free to join.
Free dating sites
totally free dating sites
100% free online dating
free single dating
free online dating
totally free online dating
free dating online
free uk dating sites
free personals
online dating site free

 

Post a Comment

<< Home