In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Friday, December 31, 2004

NCO Alley

Every night, we meet in between the row of trailers. Sometimes, there’s just two sitting in the red plastic chairs that would snap in two if Rosanne Barr sat down. Even though our job requires us to leave the camp a lot, normally the majority of our NCOs are present in the alleyway covered with cigarette butts and gravel. We call this place “NCO Alley.” It’s our refuge… where we get away from all the crap and just dump our brains for the night. And since we can’t enjoy an ice-cold beer made in Milwaukee, Wis., we get drunk off of laughter.

Joe is always the first one there – we call him the “King of sleep,” because he goes to bed early and wakes up late. The next to walk down the alley path are Sammy – he’s a little chubby, 40 + and laughs at anything; Tommy – he’s toothless; Johnny – Mr. Punchline; and then me.

We sit in a circle, talking about the strangest things imaginable. Oh, man, if hunks of rock and sheet metal could talk, we’d be in trouble. I won’t lie; we can be quite vulgar. As we open the latest issue of Stuff or Maxim, “God, did you see her rack?” (Sammy laughs) When we talk about an “active” girl on post, “It would be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.” (Sammy laughs) Of course what good would a group of NCOs be if they didn’t talk about officers or their Joes’ shenanigans? “Yeah, I didn’t agree with that decision.” (Sammy laughs) “You know what I’d do if I were you, sergeant? I’d smoke her.” (Sammy laughs)

We also have are own little ritual or initiation per se. Most people would find this absolutely sick, but I assure you that nobody’s ever been hurt physically or emotionally. Joe, Johnny and I grab Sammy when he’s in the middle of one of his chuckles (he’s a big boy so it takes three), throw him to the ground and hump him from three angles, like a coyote ravaging a house cat. I don’t know why we do this, but it is hilarious. I even admit, it’s sick, but that ritual has gotten me through some tough days and made me laugh so hard that I once slobbered on myself. And no I’m not gay (but Sammy might be, because he seems to like it), not that there’s anything wrong with that. Sad thing is, this ritual is practiced in most combat arms units… so, we’re just carrying on a tradition of what I like to call “Stuck in a Foreign Country Fighting a War” (SFCFW) humor.

The jovial conversations and SFCFW humor are only broken up when somebody we don’t like walks up or when mortars fall. Tonight was the final gathering in NCO Alley. We have packed our bags and moved out of the trailers. FNGs will be moving in soon, as we have relocated to temporary housing (military for the projects) as we just count down the final days.

Because we wanted to share our joy, we gave somebody an honorary membership today and just sat there rehashing the past year. “Hey, you remember when so and so lost her weapon?” “Yeah, that was ate up.” We also humped Sammy. Even the honorary member understood… he laughed. Sammy, the oldest, baldest NCO of the group, laughed too. “Sammy, one of these days, Haji’s going to hear your damn laugh and hit us with mortars.” And just a split second after this sentence was completed, I kid you not (I swear this really happened), we heard whistling and saw flashes. Bullets were whizzing by our heads. I heard the ricochet of some pretty high caliber rounds and felt the wind of them flying by. We hauled our butts to the bunkers. Tommy’s ears were ringing. “I saw a flash in front of my face. I can’t hear.” We checked him for entry or exit wounds. None. The bullet must have flown right by his ear, completely missing him, thank God. “Everybody OK?” A near unanimous yes echoes off the bunker. “We told you they’d find us if you kept laughing, Sammy.” He started laughing and so did everybody else. “Well, I guess that’s the end of NCO Alley.” We all thought about that statement for a second. Many good times were shared between the five of us, some of which got us through some difficult days. It’s really a bitter-sweet ending to a beautiful thing – NCO Alley.





24 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger FbL said...

You're right, it's sick! I take back all the nice things I said about you! ;)

However, I'm a girl and I just DO NOT get the male "sense of humor." (There's a reason I put it in quotes, haha). But seriously, you still made me laugh. :)

Goodbye to NCO Alley, but another step closer. Here's a toast to a Happy New Year at home!

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the mother of three grown sons, I can relate to this kind of humor. Guys seem to have a way of letting it all hang out (so to speak) when it comes to having a good time.......anything goes. But, I have to tell you, as vulgar as they may be, I think guys are alot more fun than girls.........;)

kbug

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger DangerGirl said...

Happy New Year!

Stay safe!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

This once again reminds me why I am greatful I have 5 girls! Loved it anyway, Happy new year.
Hang in there!

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sminkie! you perv. i love it! we simply must do tea. fartess from Texas

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger MFSO-Chicago said...

Happy New Year...stay safe.

May next New Year see you tipping one of those beers in Milwaukee.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Mo said...

Happy New Year Smink!!! Stay safe!!

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

home mortgage loan california
Information => home mortgage loan california

 
At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link to !!home based party plan business

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you really have a great Blog site, related to **Big and Tall**

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across you blog and thought you may find this site usefull. It has gas saving tips and where to find cheap gas. travel agent

:)

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. Interesting to see information on photo printer review from that perspective. I have a blog on a similar subject here photo printer review

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey came here due to tv tvtv

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Posts, Keep on Blogging.
Be sure to visit

Advanced Business Marketing

Expensive Marketing Secrets Free.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information. I have found another site at running for weight loss.

You may find it usful as well.

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

has something for everyone. Come on by and check it out soon Enjoy. :)

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog/site to my favorites. I also have a blog/site you're invited to visit

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about weight loss system and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about weight loss system

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work here!...I have a mortgage loan processorsite that has info about mortgage loan processor. I will bookmark you so I can read your great info.

 
At 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not very good at writing blog post and found NCO Alley while searching for blank certificate free gift printable related stuff...I am usually on ICQ and was chatting with a buddy of mine about a website he found regarding blank certificate free gift printable and we were amazed at how well the site is put together but mostly the concept.

I was wondering if anyone here had any feedback about it. Please let me know if you like the site and post back here at NCO Alley so I can find it in my bookmarks in a day or so. Thanks!

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI there....I came across your NCO Alley post and was wondering if you help point me an any direction, because all I keep finding is certificate free gift online related stuff and I am not too interested in it. I am looking more for free stuff...although I did come across this site certificate free gift online and it was actually pretty cool. I think you have a great blog here and I will be bookmarking it to check back in a couple of days.

Anyways, let me know if you have any other resources...thanks!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Web Lover said...

Wanted to say -I enjoyed your Blog! I found you had alot of interesting comments here and information regarding fun kid activities
I have a website **Preschool Learning Online.com** Hopefully If you get a minute or 2 you will pop by and Check It Out! There is alot of great Free Information for Parents and Kids related to fun kid activities and similar bits of information.

Thanks,

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This IS The Easiest Money I've Ever Made!

And You Can Do It Too!

product search

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Web Lover said...

Hello, I enjoyed your blog! You have great info here regarding showcases for kid art and related items.
Check out my website if you get some time. It is a Preschooler website with information and tips related to showcases for kid art and more!
showcases for kid art

** Also...Pick up my 'FREE' Fun Ideas & Learning EBook by clicking here!
FREE LEARNING & IDEAS E-BOOK FOR PARENTS & KIDS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home