In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Monday, February 21, 2005

Soap slivers, shampoo and scars

As the hot water splashes against my nude body, I’m in search of shampoo. But I can’t find any. The shower is filled with body washes, conditioners and skin creams. My shower, which was once a one bar of soap and White Rain kind of place, has been turned into the Mecca of creams and oils. When I finally find “Zinc” shampoo amidst the 17 other bottles of fancy named stuff, the hot water runs out.

It’s my little brother’s bathroom now. I haven’t permanently lived here in eight years, and he has long curly blond hair. He’s a guitar player and I’m a short-haired meat and potatoes kind of fellow. Needless to say, he cares a lot more about his hair than I do mine. Shoot, all I need is a bar of Zest and I’m good to go.

This is just one example of how things are different for me. In Iraq, I had to walk through gravel and share a shower trailer with five or six other swinging Joes. After awhile, you got used to it, but I can’t say I enjoyed the shower situation. And now, the bathroom is just a few feet away and I don’t have to worry about soap slivers clogging the drain. I need not worry about mortars falling through the ceiling and not once has the power went out while I’m scrubbing behind my ears. Peace of mind in the shower is truly bliss. My old shower trailer looked like Swiss cheese after a rocket attack, and every morning the Turkish workers walked in – while I’m showering – to clean the place. Once, the guy actually opened my shower curtain. This man violated my privacy; he saw me naked. I would have turned him in, but he’d get fired and those poor guys really need the work. However, I let him know that my private parts are private in my best Turkish. So as you can imagine, even showering in Iraq was stressful. At home, it’s nice and peaceful.

The showering life will be perfect after I buy some White Rain; it’s the cheapest stuff in the store.

5 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only was the shower and latrine a half block away, but there was the freezing of one's ass off getting there in the spring and winter months...and before you left to GET to shower/latrine, you had to make sure your shower shoes were nearby because you didn't dare walk on that gravel barefoot.

Shower/latrine distance was definitely one of those things I had taken for granted.

Sammy

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Blair Heusdens said...

Fred-
Imagine what it was like for us girls when the Turkish guys barged in and "peeked" in the curtain.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Hey, when you are in the store getting some white rain,,,,spring for some good smelling stuff and get rid of the brute! Enjoy your life there Smink. It is the small things we forget.

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog. I have found another blog at clearance bathroom accessory.
You may also find it useful.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Google PageRank News said...

Enjoyed your blog - thanks for sharing. I also have a website about affordable search engine placement If you have time, check out my site. Thanks for taking the time to share your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home