In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Bumper sticker, seafood and chicken

I am currently hanging out with Sammy and the rest of my cohorts for the last time as a Wisconsin Guard soldier. Tomorrow, I will turn my equipment in and say goodbye to the life of uniform. Yesterday, my soldiers bought me dinner at a very nice restaurant in Madison. I ate something I can’t pronounce and washed it down with the house Merlot.

Today, I met with our new commander, whom I respect immensely. You may recall seeing his name in the news. He adopted an Iraqi child who suffers from cerebral palsy. His efforts to adopt is new Iraqi son was well covered by the media. Here’s a Journal Sentinel article. (you might have to register to read).

After drill, Sammy and I left to grab some chow. On the way, we came across a pizza delivery vehicle with this bumper sticker: “How many Iraqi children per gallon do you get for your SUV?” Immediately outraged, Sammy and I called the pizza place demanding to speak with the manager. I asked the man if he found it appropriate to have such messages affiliated with his fine establishment. He said no, but to be honest, he didn’t sound too sincere.

I topped the night off with a Peruvian meal that was loaded with seafood. After eating half the mountain of chow, I realized I wasn’t looking at the food I was shoveling into my mouth. At first look, it appeared I was eating uncooked chicken.

“Ma’am is this chicken?”

“No. It’s fish.”

I felt like a moron, and ate it anyway.

5 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

dosen't it all look the same ,,NOT COOKED.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a stupid bumper sticker, because not only is the premise untrue, that the Iraq conflict was just about oil, but even if it were true it would be wrong. Oil supplies out of Iraq are sporadic, and oil from there would very likely not be used in the US anyway. The question would be how much Iraqi oil are you putting in your Mercedes Benz, Citroen, Fiat, Range Rover, Toyota, Nissan, Seat, Lada, Volkswagen, BMW, Renault, Daewoo, Vauxhall, Opel or locally made Ford? (Sorry if I've left out an average Euroean or Asian car maker) Which doesn't fit on a bumper sticker, unless it was a hmmwv.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casanova, I know you're ready to move on with your civilian life, and you've been doing that lately, but, I think there will always be a part of you that remains just that......a Soldier. It's a mindset, a way of thinking, not a uniform. I learned that from Dad. And, it's something you can be proud of for the rest of your life......and your kids and grandkids will be proud of you, too......just like all of your readers are...... :)

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop by and have a look at custom golf cart

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good write up saab financial

 

Post a Comment

<< Home