In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Iraq smokes

As I read this article that quotes Saddam complaining about the cheap cigarettes he has to smoke, I was reminded of how much Iraqis like to smoke. I never met a male Iraqi who didn’t smoke. Smoking is like their past time. In fact, I’d be willing to bet the receipts in my wallet that Iraq men prefer Cigarettes over food, sex and obviously, alcohol.

And there is good reason, too. Smokes were less than a $1 a pack and you’re not considered a tough guy unless you smoke. Of course, the tobacco companies in the Middle East don’t have to adhere to an ATF. Once I smoked a fag (British for Cig.) and heard a pop, then another pop and realized I wasn’t receiving any cancerous smoke into my lungs. I pulled the stick from my mouth and noticed both ends had filters.

One guy found a small chunk of glass in his cig.

At least, Saddam doesn’t have to smoke that pack. Or maybe that’s why he’s complaining. I bet Ted Kennedy sends him a carton of Winstons soon and then good old Ted will complain about how we mistreat prisoners in Iraq.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger kbug said...

hahaha......you crack me up, Casanova. I've had alot of people tell me, including you, that Seth will start smoking while he's in Iraq, so I told him I was going to keep him stocked in candy cigarettes..... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home