In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Saturday, April 29, 2006

President Bush protest at Oklahoma State

My alma mater, Oklahoma State, landed President Bush for its graduation-day speech. (read here) That’s the first president we’ve had to give a speech since the other Bush. For our graduation, I think we had a veterinarian who performed the first blind-folded horse castration.

Anyway, already the Young Democrats on campus are organizing a protest and so-called Democrats are coming out of the woodworks, saying “we need to show Bush he is not fully supported in Oklahoma and not everybody here supports the war in Iraq.” Now I’m not a big-city lawyer or anything, but the last place you want to protest President Bush is outside an Oklahoma State graduation. Get this, 77 Oklahoma counties voted for Bush and there are maybe 2,000 anti-Bush folks in the whole state. A good portion of OSU grads grew up on farms and have Republican blood. With that said, don’t be surprised to hear about a bunch of Okie Democrats with broken legs after a group of masked cowboys beat the crap out of them. I’m all about free speech. Hell, I might even hold a sign at an anti-Bush protest. But I wouldn’t do it at an OSU graduation.

3 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Sminklemeyer said...

First, Chris, I'm sorry of your injury. But in case you haven't read this site before, i am a veteran too and have indeed seen my share of death and in fact, nearly lost my own life in Iraq more times than i can count. i'm not a bush fan; just trying to make light of the protest.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger John said...

Smink and Chris -
I thank you both for your service. I'm not a military veteran, but I am an alumnus of Oklahoma State, and then-President Nixon spoke at my graduation just months before he resigned. Most of my college years were spent protesting his craziness, so I wasn't about to let his appearance at my graduation go without comment. Granted, we were few in number but I can affirm that it's possible to protest in Stillwater without facing abuse. My buddy Ted, who I was standing next to, actually had his picture, with "DUMP DICK" on the top of his mortar board, on Page 1 of the Oklahoman the next day.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Sminklemeyer said...

osu-dem:

good for you and standing up for what you believe in. Go pokes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home