In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Thursday, December 16, 2004

The workers who clean our toilets, do our laundry and make our food

They serve our food, do our laundry and clean our latrines. Essentially, they are our maids and I don’t feel they get the credit they deserve. At nearly every base, hundreds of local nationals work for us. In addition, there are a ton of Turkish and Pilipino workers taking care of the little things that make our life easier.

Not once in the past 11 months have I done the one thing I dread most in life – laundry. Not once have I had to take a sponge to a toilet, mopping up people’s bio-hazardous leftovers. And not once have I had to stand over a stack of soiled dishes during KP duty.

In many respects, these guys are serving our cause just as much as the infantry soldiers on patrol. While they receive little pay, the workers on post are just as much at risk as we are – if not more. A couple months ago, several Turkish workers were killed during mortar attacks. This makes eating chow a little difficult, because now when they here any type of explosion, the Turkish guys run for the bunkers and stay there for three to four hours. They are shell shocked, and there have been times that the large tubs of chow have been left unattended because the workers are too nervous. The local Iraqis who work for us are constantly receiving death threats. The terrorists follow the workers to their homes and kill them.

Once a guy who bought our fresh vegetables was beheaded for working with us. They video taped his death. I saw it. A fat, masked Arabic man stood over the vegetable man’s lifeless, headless body and said “this is what will happen to you if you work with the Americans.” Of course, back in September, my good friend Samir – our interpreter – was gunned down by terrorists. They no doubt would have beheaded him, as they first captured him, but he escaped. He ran through the city he grew up in and was shot in the back and died in the same area he was born. He believed in this country’s future and was willing to do whatever it took to create a free Iraq – even paying the ultimate sacrifice.

In fact, most of the workers are here not just for the adequate pay, but because they support us. It helps that we’ve caught or killed a lot of the people threatening them. But just like the days of Troy – with the Trojan Horse – all warfighters are suspicious of the people working for us. For all we know, they could be pacing off mortar impact areas as they sweep our streets. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate what they do for us, but I am still very skeptical. There was a point that we had a slew of workers killed and in my opinion, somebody had to be on the inside identifying the workers and interpreters.

Nonetheless, I treat the workers with respect and dignity as do all the other soldiers. We just keep a close eye on them. And I’m of the opinion that you can kill hate with kindness. For the most part, I am very friendly to the workers. I shake their right hands – not their left. I try to teach them English. I give them candy. And I always smile.

This ends up back firing on me sometimes. Once, an Iraqi man asked if I’d like to “Fecki, Fecki.” I didn’t know what that meant, so I asked our interpreter. He grinned and said, “he wants to have sex with you.” In the states, my friends tease me because gay men tend to ask me out. If I wanted to, I’m sure I could be on the cover of “Gay Pride.” I’ve been hit on by more men than women, and now I’ve been propositioned in Iraq. I’m straight and after I nearly gagged, I made sure the Iraqi understood that. Of course, I also told him thanks for serving his country – even if he did hit on me.


33 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Enjoyed this on too. For some getting hit on by anyone can at least let you know your still hittable!
Hang in there!

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo! Hey, you got me turnin into a regular "blog watcher". I really look forward to this every day now when i get home from work. it's a real zoo out there. KEEP WRITIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

That is hysterical...I love your self-deprecation.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 2 children have posed on Santa's lap every year since they were born. First my daughter, alone, as a baby, and then as a little girl with her baby brother. Last year Shawn stood in his army uniform while Tawnya perched on Sanata's knee. This year she was there alone with a picture of her brother - he's in Iraq with lots of other sons and brothers. Be well, all of you.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger janet in venice said...

heh! so fecki-fecki means.......hm! so what does that make someone they say is 'feckless'?????

they called bill clinton that, a lot. the possibilities are endless and rich.

hey, if gay men 'want' you, you gotta be doing something right!!! i mean, that's a very choosy crowd to attract!! LOL LOL!
and you know it can't be the uniform, cause everyone else in sight is wearing one, too!! lmao!!

life is strange, aint it?

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger jon said...

Surfing some of the Gay blogs today I stumbled onto your blog. I liked it! Thanks for the posts...

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger 6sec said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a legal credit repair site. It pretty much covers legal credit repair related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Jack Naka said...

Cool blog you have going here, I will check in often! I have a similar site about fashion movie. It pretty much covers fashion movie related stuff.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Wonderer said...

Absolutely the best hindu baby girl name. Just click here hindu baby girl name

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at subway coupon


Keep in touch :)

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Johnjon said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers legal credit repair related stuff.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

Hi,
Do think you could get a banker's desire to force money into your laps?

nyc dept of finance enligtens about nyc dept of finance

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger blaze said...

I found your site on airline card credit southwest quite useful. I also have a site about airline card credit southwest that you may find useful also. Please feel free to check it out and let me know what you think

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

Hi,
Do think you could get a banker's desire to force money into your laps?

loan finance enligtens about loan finance

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger De Post Man said...

Informative post. Take a look at my credit site ( http://mortgage.27days27gurus.com/ ) f you can. Thanks annual credit report

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an interesting blog here. Some of the things people put are kind of strange. Another cool site is a site that is about add credit link repair stuff.

Anyway, I like your blog and will proably be back.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Work From Home Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about home based business legitimate
that covers home based business legitimate
related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Bill Adams said...

Veteran's Day is November 11th and I hope that EVERY American will be flying the flag in honor of our troops fighting in Iraq and around the world to preserve our freedoms!

I can even tell you where to get one for free! Visit AmericanFlags.com right now and they'll send you a FREE American Flag. These flags were $19.99, but now they are FREE. You pay just for shipping/handling and they'll ship one to your door. (Actually - I've ordered more than 20 from them to give to my neighbors, as gifts, etc!)

Get your free flag now: **FREE AMERICAN FLAG**

Semper Fi!

Bill Adams

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger haidi said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Make Big Money**blog. It pretty much covers Make Big Money articles related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Clickbank Mall said...

Come Visit Santa at his blog and tell him what you want for Christmas,

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Goodman441 said...

Hello, this is a great blog on new car loan, Please visit my site when you get a chance at http://www.loanofficial.com

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jake said...

law.and.order.ci.s05e01.hdtv.xvid lol

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger GOOGPLEXMAN said...

Hello. Do you know the you can Make Easy Money Online
online. The internet is the perfect place to find Make Easy Money Online
. Great blog, keep up the good work.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Freddies Blog said...

Last month I made $12,124 with Google Adsense...Click
here for free on how you can do the same!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Goodman441 said...

Discover the automated power of the Affiliate Cash Vault! New fail-safe system virtually runs 100% on autopilot... Just set it and forget it!

Start Earning Money 15 Minutes From Now... HONESTLY!

Click Here

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger atoztexan said...

Hello, I really enjoy your blog … I’m going to bookmark it.
Your visitors may also enjoy another site about business loans.
It can be found by clicking here...
business canadian loan

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger TechDown said...

I really enjoy your blog. I wanted to let you know I've found some great info about Marriott Reward Credit Card
at Marriott Reward Credit Card
. Check it out and keep up the great blog.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Juno-Regina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger http://www.debt-consolidation.com said...

Hi, Thank you for having this info on the web. I enjoyed your post. If you may have any interest in
debt consolidation Credit Card Debt Consolidation
then I know where you may get your solution. For your comfort, I have enclosed the link, so if needed you can visit the site. Thanks again for your lovely blog. credit

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Iza Firewall said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger aiya said...

Obama Is Lying<1>Office 2010When was the last time the MSM took a Republican's side in a fight over credibility with a Democratic opponent? Well, it has been a while. Microsoft Office 2010
However, conservatives have little to grumble about in the recent face-off between Barack Obama and John McCain over McCain's statement that Microsoft wordtroops might have to remain for "100 years" in Iraq "as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed" after Office 2007Microsoft OfficeMicrosoft Office 2007 Office 2007 keyOffice 2007 downloadOutlook 2010Windows 7Microsoft outlookMicrosoft outlook 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home