In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Saturday, June 04, 2005

On crutches

Right now, my foot is in a cast. And I use crutches everywhere I go. At my company softball game last week, I slid into third and cracked my left ankle. Yes, I was safe, but then I was out. I am now on the DL after what was a great start to the season. I was batting .876 with 7 RBIs. No homers yet, but I would have eventually ripped one. So now the most common question is no longer “so what’s it like being back?” Rather, it’s “what did you do to your leg?” After they hear the story, they tell me…

“You survive a year in Iraq and you injure yourself playing company softball.”

Surprisingly, I’m enjoying my time on crutches. I get rock star parking, people open the doors for me and old ladies offer to push my shopping cart. When I go to the VA, everybody looks at me like I’m some kind of hero. To be honest, this country – at least in Milwaukee – treats people on crutches like kings. I wonder if being on crutches will get me out of a speeding ticket. Imagine the possible excuses… “sir, I swear I couldn’t feel my foot and the pain pills were making me drowsy.” Yeah, that’s probably not a good idea.

5 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No not a good idea. LOL I can hear it now. "offiserrr I am sorry, my foot hasn't been the same sence I hurt it. I do not remember how I hurt it due to the pils I have been takin'. But ...What was the question again?"

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Harold/AQ said...

Best wishes, Smink, for a full and speedy recovery!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Household6 said...

My claim to fame is that I was rear ended by a street cleaner. He got confused on the pedals (there's a set of drivers controls on both sides of the vehicle to clean the gutters) and floored it instead of hitting the break.

So nope, not so weird to hear you did it after delpoying to Iraq.

Best of luck on your recovery.

Household6

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Maybe you should tell them that the cast on your leg is causing your foot to come down harder on the gas pedal. :)

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger 夜之剑 said...

Hey, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a online shopping cart site. It pretty much covers online shopping cartrelated stuff.

Come and have a look if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home