In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Memorial Day

I normally have something to say about everything, but yesterday, my first Memorial Day home, leaves me speechless. So, I'll just share a note with you from a frequent visiter

I don’t think I’ve ever had a Memorial Day weekend like this one before. I’ve always done the right thing and lowered my flag to half-mast, I’ve always thought about the people who gave their lives for our freedoms. Like I said, Dad raised us right. But, I’ve never had such a hard time with my emotions. Every program on TV, every newspaper article I read, every story I heard in the news made me cry. I’ve been trying to figure out why. I think a lot of it has to do with Seth’s deployment later this year. . . . . . that’s my baby boy . . . . . . the one who brings me such joy and makes me laugh . . . . . . the one who hugs me and tells me he loves me when all he used to say when I told him I loved him was “okay” . . . . . . the one that I realize might not come back . . . . . . that really brings it all home. But, I think some of it is because of you. You put a face and a life to the soldiers. You made the Iraqi people just that . . . . . . real people. You told me what was really happening over there and didn’t sugar-coat anything . . . . . . you just told me the truth as you witnessed it. You shared your feelings and emotions about both the funny things and the heart-breaking things. You’ve made this war real for me .

Now I understand why Kleenex warnings are necessary!

8 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Gulf War Vet and I was in the annual Memorial Day Parade here in town..
In the crowd, I saw a little girl holding a "Thank You" sign...
To my surprise, I teared up.
Not a "Thank You" for me, but for those who have died in the past.

A simple "Thank You" goes a long, long way.

I thank you as well

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drats! You're supposed to put the tissue warning at the beginning of the post Smink... not the END!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger remoteman said...

I am proud of you. You reach out and touch people and help us all understand. You and your fellow milbloggers teach us what we would have a hard time knowing otherwise. In doing that you do a great service to all members of the military, past and present. Most importantly, you honor the memory of those who have given the greatest sacrifice. Thank you.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger AFSister said...

Smink-
I know you said you've been at a loss for words lately, and that's ok. Sometimes, the words of others just say it all.

Thanks for sharing that email- it does say it all.

I took flowers to a big local cemetary on Memorial Day, and I was saddened by the sight of so many unadorned veteran's gravesites. I took the flowers, thinking I "might" find a few to leave flowers on... instead I was horrified to find that I could have takend 10 times as many flowers and STILL not have enough to honor each unadorned veteran gravesite. One was buried as recently as this March... no flag, no flowers... just dirt and fresh grass.

It was so sad to me... so very, very sad. I hope to make more of a difference next year.

Thank you is never enough- but I hope you know I mean it. Thank you for all you've written and shared, and God bless you for all you've written and decided you needed to keep to yourself.

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers file income tax online related stuff.

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever it is,100 baby name top you can get it here100 baby name top

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger:
Just happened to locate your blog on writing article.
I too have an interest in that and offer a really nice
software product that can help deliver articles as fast
as you can come up with ideas.

writing article

Best regards,

Larry

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hello. I'm out blogging and came across yours. It's good. I have a couple as well. Keep up the good work!

regards,
health care insurance for small business

 

Post a Comment

<< Home