In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Friday, April 08, 2005

It’s not easy for soldiers to pack up, leave their loved ones and travel thousands of miles away to fight a war, but I think it’s harder for the loved ones. While we have a war to keep us occupied, sisters, brothers, mothers, daughters, sons, fathers and girlfriends just sit around and wait. If you don’t think loving a soldier can’t be emotionally numbing than just go read Calivalleygirl’s latest post…

Yesterday when I heard the news that my boyfriend was alright, I was okay. I slept like a log and woke-up rested this morning. I came to work chipper, but when I was sitting in front of my lunch tray in the cafeteria I realized I had no appetite. I forced myself to eat something, but after a few minutes I realized I was fighting against tears, against being sick.

She will make you appreciate the families of soldiers just as much as the soldiers.

5 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am unsure which is worse. I cannot speak for anyone who cares and waits without knowing. I can only speak as a father who has lost a son. I cannot and will not ever forget.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Sue said...

As the girlfriend of one of the deployed, it can be a rough road. Supporting him is such thing, considering the sacrifice he is making. Each day is brings the highest highs and the lowest lows, but one I wouldn't have any other way.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Hey Smink, good to read ya. My oldest daughter has her guy bestfriend over there for the second time. He went in 2003 came home with a purple heart and now has gone again. It is hard when he calls, "hi mom how is everyone?" I want to tell him to get the hell home! But I know better, he can see a change there for the better.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Harold/AQ said...

I had the opportunity to be on both sides, and although she was on a peacetime deployment (six months in Antarctica) I have to say that I was a whole lot better about me being away from home than I was with her being away from home. Hardly scientific but there you have it.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

It is living with a pit in your stomach 24-7, for one year. You are always praying for a miracle. You watch the news every chance you get, and hope you hear something that will ease your fears. You hope to hear, that the Iraqi government has asked us to leave, or maybe all deployments are cut to 6 months. You listen for anything.
When a soldier dies, you hold your breath. You feel helpless. You pray and pray. You feel relief that it isn't your special military person, and deep sorrow for the family of the fallen.
Your life is filled with waiting. Waiting for a call, an email, a letter, a homecoming. Waiting for the day when this will be a distant memory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home