In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

My mom, dad and little bro

Today, I want to take a step back and forget about this war, Iraq, the death, the destruction, and write about two people whom I deeply care about. My parents’ 27th anniversary is in two days and since I can’t be there to thank mom for putting up with dad all these years, I will write…

They met at a grocery store in Spencer, Okla., back in the late ‘70s. My father was a sacker. My mother, the checker, was way out of my dad’s league. Part Cherokee Indian, my mom had long, shiny black hair and dark skin. She wasn’t a beauty queen, but she could have been. My friends used to look at their wedding picture and ask “gosh, what did she see in your dad.” Pops was a scraggly kid with a bunch of zits. He was a trouble maker. As a kid, he tormented his younger brother. Once he set a booby trap that resulted in knocking out his little bro. When Russ came to, he asked what happened. “An apple hit you in the head,” my dad said. As ornery as he was in his early years, he matured quickly. He was a man at 16, working two jobs, going to school and maintaining his motor bike. I guess that’s what mom saw in him: a man who’d work his fingers to the bone just to support somebody he loved.

Around the time they met, mom was ironically dating an Army guy, who she canned when he was in boot camp. The man often referred to as “Billy K” went AWOL to get mom back. Too late, though, dad was moving in for the kill. For their first date, they went to a Pizza Hut, where my mom challenged dad to a “hot pepper” eating contest. Mom won, and I don’t think dad’s eaten a pepper since. I’m not sure how long they dated, but I was in the picture pretty soon. I was at their wedding, per se.

Friends offered to pay for an abortion, which obviously, I’m glad they declined. It was rough though, and I’m sure there were times, I drove them crazy. Mom was barely 18 and dad was 17 when I was born. Dad continued going to school and worked two jobs. He worked for a bakery and drove milk trucks. I think he was on a route when I was actually born, so I’m the reason a few folks in Oklahoma County didn’t get their milk on August 1, 1978.

Dad received his H.S. diploma and then enrolled in college. Mom had her hands full with me. He attended a small school, which has since been devastated by tornadoes, called Rose State. He worked two jobs, went to school full time and raised a family. I remember his college graduation. Mom said “Look, there’s your daddy. Look.” I tried climbing a light pole to get a good look, but I fell. It hurt. He came by and showed me his graduation medallion. At the time, I thought he was a war hero or something.

Then, came my baby brother. When mom was going into labor, I thought she was going to die or kill my dad. She was screaming like somebody was slowly driving a nail into her foot and grabbing my dad with those strong hands, not letting go. They dropped me off at grandma’s and grandpa’s and then went on to the hospital. I just bawled.

I later learned I had a brother. What a great joy, I thought, finally somebody else can get in trouble besides me. Nope. I got in more trouble as we grew older, and he got away with everything! My little brother shot me in the eye with a BB gun, and barely got a whippin’. He had mom’s dark skin and dad’s curly hair, and her affection when he broke something. He was my little bro, so I picked on him all the time. But the minute somebody else picked on him, I’d put a hurting on the perpetrator. We participated in the same sports and organizations. We rode bulls and broncos in rodeos, before he got hung up and nearly trampled. So, I made him quit while big brother kept riding. We showed pigs together in the FFA. Yes, that’s right, I was a farm boy and gosh darn proud. Once I paid $400 for a show pig, but of course, I was 14 or 15 and didn’t have any money. But dad, being the loving father he was and is, took on extra jobs just so my brother and I could participate in something together. And mom, she put up with two boys and a grown man coming in the house with pig manure caked on their clothes… not many beauty queens could take the smell of pig crap, trust me.

Then, I went off to college – go Pokes – and joined a fraternity. As I partied, I saw my family less and less… a time I wish I could take back, and spend more time with them. Nonetheless, my folks called all the time, encouraging me and ensuring I went to church. Then, I went to boot camp, where I read supportive letters from my family every day. After I graduated with a degree in agricultural communications – you learn how to talk to cows and pigs – I moved away from the only state I’d ever known. When telling my folks I was going away from home, I could tell they didn’t want me to leave. But all they said was “just chase your dreams, son. We love you.”

I took a job in Milwaukee, a place that is extremely cold and where I knew absolutely nobody. After two years of M-Town, I had a great job, made some wonderful friends and really liked the place and the people. I thought I was on top of the world at 24 and then I became sick.

Somewhere in between all the running in the woods and Army training, a tick bit me and changed my life. I came down with a rare form of Lyme disease. Swelling surrounded the back side of my brain, shutting the nerves off to the left side of my face and causing headaches that felt more like 2 million thumb tacks pressing against my brain. The complete left portion of my face dropped an inch. I looked like a Star Trek character. I went to the emergency room four times; each time being diagnosed with migraines. I put off telling mom and dad, because I didn’t want them to worry and well, I’m a grown boy now. When I called mom, who’s a medical professional, I could barely talk. I lost control of the entire left side and my lip flopped around like flabby man’s blubber on a run. Without hesitating or asking, my mom, my little bro and dad packed their bags and took the 16-hour drive from Oklahoma to Wisconsin. Mom went into the doctor’s office, not asking, demanding I be admitted and looked at by an infectious disease doctor. The way she handled the doctor reminded me of the time she chewed out one of my teachers for spreading roomers about me to her neighbors. “You will not talk bad about me boy, do I make myself clear?” Yes, said the teacher, who looked as if she saw a ghost. When it comes to her boys, my mom is not a lady you want to mess with.

My parents and little brother spent every day beside me in the hospital. And when I was OK to go home, but needed a nurse to hook up a daily IV, they were there to cook for me and clean my apartment and to feed my fish. They never said anything like “wow, this is really bad. The doctor says he’s never seen anything like this.” All they said was “I love you. And everything will be OK.”

Soon there after, I learned I’d be heading to Iraq. A lot of people say they realize how important their loved ones are when they go to war. Not me; I’ve always known. I love you, mom, dad and Jud. Happy Anniversary! Your boy will be home soon.

19 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Mo said...

That was great. Thank you for sharing it.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Really Smink, I have a 25 year old that needs a nice guy like you. She has a thing for uniforms too. She is here in Arizona but the heat isn't too bad once ya get use to it. Great post, I am sure your parents are very proud of you.
Hang in there!

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful, heart-warming post, Casanova..... families are everything that's wonderful and beautiful in this world.

Happy Anniversary, mom and dad sminklemeyer!!! You've got a great son there.....but, you already knew that. Give him a hug for me when he gets home.....

kbug

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Kim said...

You've lived quite a bit in your short years, haven't you? I can say that because I'm 10 years older than you, and haven't experienced half as much! Great story, and happy anniversary Mom and Dad!

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm another mom who would love to have a man like you date my 23 year-old daughter. Your family sounds wonderful. Thank you for your service and they must be very proud of you. Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! We lived in Alva, OK for two years.

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sminkle, the words you shared with us is the best Anniversary present a Son could give. It reminds me of a poem you once wrote to me for fathers day. I would like to share this with the rest of your Bloggers.

there's a man in this world who's special to all
he's got a big, round belly and he's not too tall
with big blue eyes and brown curly hair
he's got a jolly way that he loves to share
two boys and a pretty wife he calls his own
they live in a three-bedroom house that he calls his throne
so many lives he's touched with just his heritable, big open ears
not in the living room, though, that's attracted many of mom's sneers
but, no matter what, she loves him all the same
"it.s the fact he doesn't clean," now that's a shame
seriously, he'd give you the shirt off his back if that's your need
It's family he cares for the most, for them, he'd trade the house deed
people don't realize what they have till it's extinct
not the Sminklemeyers, for we all know we've got Big Smink
by your loving son, Sminky

Sminky, I see you and your brother have a heart of gold and compassion for our fellow-man at Home and Abroad. God put these desires into you both and it excites me to watch you and your brother (who still owes you a cd) grow up, striving to be Godly Men. Mom says, " You have mentioned in one of your stories it has made this war more bearable because of the support of friends and family. It is her belief that the responses you have received are due to the fact you have planted so many good and uplifting, encouraging words they can't help but reciprocate this to you." So, you see, you are simply reaping what you have sown. The bible states if you want kindness you must sow kindness, if you want encouragement you must sow encouragement. This is what you have done Smink and we could not be prouder.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

O.K. Pass the kleenex! Enough already!

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog via my daughter at tryingtogrok.com. I grew up in Okla., west of OKC, and went to OU. However, I have some great memories of fun weekends on the OSU campus! I've been to your hometown and also participated in rodeos in my youth. I love your blog and have read every post this evening. You will be in my prayers each day. Congratulations to your parents on their anniversary and also for raising such a fine soldier. God bless.
Nancy

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Margo said...

Quite a post. You made me laugh and cry.
Thank you, I needed that.

Sometimes us mothers need to be reminded of what is important. After reading your post, I'll pass my two teenager's rooms and not let the mess bother me.

Congrats to your parents; they obviously raised some fine children. Thank you for sharing a bit of your family with us, letting us know that not everybody in this crazy land has forgotten about what is important.

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hoping you will share your story.
kindness poem

 
At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I visited your jewish online dating site today.

cheers!


jewish online dating

 
At 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Blogs/site is very informative on the **big and tall**related subject

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about make money survey related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at academy sports


Keep in touch :)

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not realise that blogs could be so informative. I have browsing and reading all day -- Very addictive.

I am going to set up a blog for my own site make money quick tomorrow! I have a lot to of information to share. The link to read should be
live soon. If you have an interest in make money quick I would love to hear what you think of my site :-)

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a costa rica real estate site/blog. It pretty much covers costa rica real estate related stuff.



Come and check it out if you get time :-)

costa rica real estate Real Estate*

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Danny White said...

I found a free based business from home home internet marketing online work resource blog/site that really helped me
get a handle on based business from home home internet marketing online work.

I thought your posters might find this based business from home home internet marketing online work resource useful.

based business from home home internet marketing online work

Check it out if you get time:-)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger HV said...

One way to kill a first date is to complain. Don't complain about your job, your last relationship, how you always manage to find losers, etc. You will be seen as a negative person. Compare Online Dating Services

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Leif Wheeler said...

Hello, I really enjoy your blog … I’m going to bookmark it.
Your visitors may also enjoy another site about dating.
It can be found by clicking here...
dating ads

 

Post a Comment

<< Home