In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The journey to America

We stayed in Kuwait for a day and a half and then flew to Shannon, Ireland, for an hour layover. The Irish were surprisingly supportive. Quite a few greeted me as I shaved in their airport lavatory. “Lad, are you going home?” Yes. “I see there, laddie. I just want to tell you I think you all are doing a fine job. I don’t care what those bloody liberal media say.” Well, thank you sir. I continued shaving… a seven-hour flight produces some nasty whiskers.

And then we flew to McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey. My first words spoken in America were “holy shit it is cold!” Although I anticipated cold weather, I forgot what 20 degrees felt like. We then loaded up on a bus heading to Fort Dix where we received a briefing.

“Listen and listen carefully. What do you hear?” said the first sergeant leading a series of redeployment briefings inside an old chapel at Dix. Nothing. “Exactly. There are no mortars. No snipers. No IEDs. Just America, and we will get you home.” This group’s sole job is to take redeploying soldiers in transit and make sure they make it to the civilian airports and their flights on time. After 10 different people spoke about stuff I can’t remember because I was so sleepy, we then slept at this old, run-down church for about four hours and then re-packed all our gear in a different bus and headed toward the Philadelphia airport. We shared the bus with an ate-up unit. They failed to pack their bags in the typical military fashion – tight with no loose strings – and we had to help them repack their crap. One army, one team.

We stored our weapons in shotgun cases and placed them with our check-in baggage. We had to lock and clear the M-16s in front of a guard. And man did we get some strange looks. One family pointed at me and quietly said, “look, he’s got a gun.” I wanted to correct them… no this is not my gun; this is my weapon… but they wouldn’t understand. After checking in about 1,200 pounds of gear, we were on our way to gate E-6, which I found ironic because I’m an E-6. Anyway, the line was long and we were running late.

There’s only one major airline that still searches soldiers on orders and that’s Northwest. Guess what airline we flew? That’s right, Northwest and every one of us had to take off our boots, our dog tags, our wallets, our belts and a few had to be individually searched with the same wand we used on suspected terrorists. This didn’t set well with one of my captains… “You know my soldiers and I just want to get home. We’ve been in Iraq for a year.” “Are you gettin’ an attitude with me?” said the very mean lady who probably was dumped by a soldier and still holds a grudge. “Listen here, we’ve been in Iraq FOR A YEAR.” “I think you are threatening me,” said the mean lady. Personally, I didn’t care. Hell, make me take all my clothes off and do toe touches… I’m going home, baby.

We were late, but the airline was nice enough to delay the flight just for us. When I boarded the plane, I detected some scowls and nasty whispers from the First Class folks. No doubt, we were the reason they would be an hour late for their business meeting and tennis lessons. Then, like crossing into another world, my feet touched coach, where the construction workers, middle managers and school teachers sat. I didn’t pass a single person without hearing “Thank you.”
The flight lasted 2.5 hours and I spent most of it talking about Iraq to the guy sitting next to me. I was amazed at how uninformed he was, but it wasn’t his fault; he just read the death and destruction headlines. I really felt like I was regurgitating past stories I’d written, but he hung on to every word. We then landed in Minneapolis, our last stop until La Crosse, Wis., the closest airport to our demobilization site – Fort McCoy.

Our original La Crosse flight was canceled. No big deal; it gave me a chance to eat and to stare at the businesswomen talking on cell phones. My first meal in the States was a ham and egg cheese McMuffin, hash browns, chocolate-chip cookie and two cups of coffee. I couldn’t get a bite in without somebody coming by and saying “thank you so much. Welcome home.” Got to love those Midwesterners; they love the military. Somebody bought me a Gatorade, too, which I planned to drink on the final leg of this long, exhausting journey.

After scarfing down the best damn meal I’ve had in a year, I enjoyed the scenery for the rest of the 2-hour layover. I don’t think there’s a place that truly defines America better than an airport. I saw all types of people from the blue collar guys in flannel shirts and paint-stained pants; to the college girls with tight shirts, low-cut pants and tattoo on the small of their back; to the 20 something business wannabes, talking stocks on their cell phones; to the old, distinguished professionals whose shoes make a unique click-clack sound when they walk. It was strange seeing Americans, but in a good way. I don’t think I saw one Arabic or Kurdish guy the whole day, which was also strange.

The plane ride to La Crosse was so short that the flight attendants never came by to give us pretzels or pick up our trash, which meant I put the empty Gatorade bottle in my pocket because it’s just rude to leave trash behind on a plane. When we landed, the flight attendants announced that Northwestern appreciated our service. As we walked down the terminal, a band played the “Star Spangled Banner” and a row of generals and sergeant majors and a bunch of suit people were there to greet us. Families were there. The media was there too. And I had this dang, big Gatorade bottle in my pants. As I was shaking hands, the only thing I could think of was I’ve got to throw this thing away. It makes my butt look big and I’ll be on the news tonight.

I had a nice surprise waiting for me in the crowd. A couple friends drove up from Milwaukee and gave me the biggest hugs I’ve received in a year. They bought my lunch at Panera Bread and dropped me off at Fort McCoy, where I’ll spend the next couple days receiving briefings about how to reenter society and to make sure I don’t have any strange diseases.

I used to hate this place. The barracks were made in WWII and the heat never works. It’s always cold here. And the MPs like giving tickets. But now, as I look at this snow-covered post called Fort McCoy, I realize it’s more like my home than a duty station. After all, home is where the heart is and my heart will always be in America, all 50 states.

30 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger FbL said...

Welcome home!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your trip home. I'm glad it went generally well and that you had a chance to see how many Americans love you and are SO grateful for your service.

Know that all of your blog friends are very jealous of those who got to shake your hand and buy you a drink. :) We'd LOVE to have had the chance to share our appreciation in person.

Enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the Good Ol' U.S of A! You've more than earned it.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

WELCOME HOME SMINK!!!! ENJOY all those hugs and thank yous your worked hard for them. We are all so glad your home!!!!! Home can you smell your sheets yet? The fresh air of home is never to much huh! Love that you made it home. ENJOY!!!!!!!! Have fun Relax!!!!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again your post made me cry...I wanna say THANK YOU TOO!! sis from the usa

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great job telling the soldiers' story!

Welcome home, GI!

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is darn cold and snowy here in Milwaukee, but think you will love the weather regardless of what the temp may be right now!! Glad you are home safe and sound... Enjoy your moments of solitude in Fort McCoy before your big re-entry into civie world. Thanks for your service and welcome home! :-)

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Welcome home and glad all went relatively well on the journey back! I've enjoyed your blog immensely and just wish I had found it earlier.

Take care!

 
At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you and others in your unit made it back to the land of the big PX with out any real trouble. And I don’t see why they had to search you, it was just some little person with very little power, showing you how little power they really have. I hope you glared right back at the spoiled pricks in first class that just don’t understand that it is people like you, and the work that they do, is the sole reason why they are able to fly first class.

Speaking as an Army Contractor in Germany, I am so grateful for what you and others have done, and I hope that everyone gets out ok. And with a little help others will understand your scarifies you have had to make to do what you did.

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Chief said...

Thank you, glad you made it home safe

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in Iraq. We don't get a very balanced view of the war from the media, so your blog was very informative. If I had been sitting in first class on that plane, I would have offered you my seat. Those snobs must not have realized how important the American Soldier is to our wonderful, free country. I'm glad you had a good trip home except for the very mean TSA lady. Shame on her for that nasty attitude toward our great soldiers. You all deserved big hugs instead of searches. Thank you for your service to our country.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger membrain said...

Glad you made it back safe and sound Smink. Thanks for your service.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Welcome home Sminkie! Now don't you dare stop writing for us... don't you dare... (where did I put that darn tissue?)

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can't begin to tell you how proud of you guys we are. I already have a cold and now because of you my nose is running double. You brought a tear to my eye. Keep it up, you're amazing. It's wonderful to read about someone that has a first person account and not some guy in a newsroom writing what he "hears". Thank you thank you thank you

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You,
Welcome back to the U.S and I hope your life takes you where you want to go. My family and I thank you for your service.

God Bless You from Utah

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home and Thank you for service and sacrifice for those of us who get to be safe under your guardianship.

In defense of some first class flyers: I'm a former Marine and I fly 100+ times per year, most of which is in first class. When I get on the plane I always tell the flight attendants that if anyone in the military (they don't have to be Marines) gets on anything they order is on me. In my opinion any delay we suffer to get you home is cake compared to what you've done for us. I greatly appreciate what you guys are doing, YOU are our "Greatest Generation".

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God you made it home safe. Thank You so much for your service. I think you should have been sent home first class, because each and everyone of you are the first class is the United States, not the snobs that were there. Do they not know that they would be a slave to something or someone, if it where not for our soliers !!
Many thanks from the Mom of a Marine, who will be going back to Iraq in March...Marti In Ky.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger DangerGirl said...

Welcome Home, Soldier Boy! I wish I could have been there to see welcome you myself..but I was there in spirit!

Thank you for your stories, for their laughter and the tears and for your service to America and the Iraqi's,for your commitment to freedom, and democracy!

I hope when you meet Pres Bush that HE realizes how damn lucky he is to be in YOUR presence!

HOOOOOYAAAAAAAA!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Alex Nunez said...

Welcome home, and thanks.

Those clowns in First Class would have given their seats to you guys if they had an ounce of class.

Glad you're back safe and sound.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Alex Nunez said...

Welcome home, and thanks.

Those clowns in First Class would have given their seats to you guys if they had an ounce of class.

Glad you're back safe and sound.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Alex Nunez said...

Welcome home, and thanks.

Those clowns in First Class would have given their seats to you guys if they had an ounce of class.

Glad you're back safe and sound.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Casanova.....I wish I could have been there to give you a welcome home hug, too, but....I'll save it for you till I see you again.....that's my agenda.....;)

kbug

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home!!
And it was good to hear about the Minnesota Nice people who personally came up to you and thanked you during your lay-over at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport!

Steve
Minnesota

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Mo said...

Okay, I'm totally getting misty eyed here. So glad you're here! And I am certainly glad you were welcomed back by quite a few people. Can't wait to read more! Yea...so happy for you!

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Donald Sensing said...

Welcome home. Thank you for your service. There are more people grateful than you know.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Patrick (gryph) said...

Uh, as a bonifide, card-carrying liberal gay guy from Los Angeles Californ-i-yay, all I have to say is welcome home, and thank you for the sacrifices you have made to keep us safe. No doubt we'd disagree on many things, but one thing I always remember is that you protect our freedom to at least have the discussion. You are a fine American. God Bless you and keep you. And get some sleep! You earned it. When you wake no doubt there will be liquor and pretty girls in abundance...

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vet!

This is from a Gulf War Vet...

Welcome Home to the good ole US of A!

I remember coming back to Germany from Saudi Arabia..First thing I saw when the plane landed as cedar trees and how GREEN they were. LoL

Also the first thing I ate was a good old fashioned hamburger (Real meat, mind you!) with everything on it! LoL What a blast.

As I say to our Vietnam Brothers...WELCOME HOME!

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like FT McCoy and demob haven't changed a bit. Welcome home, and enjoy the snow and the green of the pines.

Mac

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service. Your family must be very proud of you.

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, I added you to my favorites.
If you are interested in home party plan business
, I have a home party plan business
site.
Feel free to drop by and tell me what you think.

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For more news and information about 60x40x26 gun safe. Have a look at this site 60x40x26 gun safe. You may find it useful as well.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Knox Karter said...

There Is Obviously a lot to know about this. I suppose you made Some Great points in the Feature also.

Construction Logo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home