In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Friday, January 07, 2005

Selling the Mustang

Their uniforms seem to fit a little snug around the belly and they lack military bearing, but you got to love ‘em… they’re our replacements, our ticket home. Today, I back briefed my counterpart: Print NCOIC. As I told her all the things we’d accomplished, her jaw dropped. Not because of my devilish good looks or my baby blue eyes, but because we’ve done so much over the past year. We’ve covered every combat operation, every school opening and everything in between. We’ve taken 30,000 photos and written 600 stories. We produced 40 weekly newsletters and 4 full-color magazines. We’ve told the Soldier’s story and we’ve done it better than anybody. I am so proud of everything we accomplished, and now I’m handing over my “baby” to a bunch of newbies.

We didn’t replace anybody; we came to an area of operation that had no public affairs support. We built the public affairs monster in this fine city of Mosul. It’s like I just spent five years rebuilding a 1965 Cherry Red Mustang and I’m selling it as soon as the paint dries to a zit-faced rich kid. Don’t get me wrong, I want to get the heck out of here, but I’ve put my blood, sweat and tears into this mission and it’s just hard to let go. But I guess I have to, because the plane leaves soon.

20 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Thank you for everything you have done, and also for this blog. I have enjoyed it immensely. Have a great trip home and a wonderful homecoming!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Mo said...

I hope you have a safe trip home (Whenever you are leaving). And I hope you keep this blog going. It's been great reading you.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Stay safe, kiddo...

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Hmmm said...

Enjoy your trip back, thanks for all the hard work, and I'm sorry I just found your site 2 weeks ago.

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Watchya)

Hi - only found your blog recently, and have found it to be one of the best in the iraqi blogshpere out there, telling us what it is like for you, honestly and unbiasedly.

Please don't stop. God speed, and enjoy the break.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

And you HAVE done a great job. I only wish I could see and read all of the stuff you have done. Will we on the outside world ever be able to? I am also worried about BB I hope she is ok, she hasn't posted in a long time, I am thinking that she is with you there. Just checking. Sometimes we build things and just have to let them fly on their own, think of what parenting is.
Hang in there!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger DangerGirl said...

What an awesome Blog...from a truly awesome guy! YOu have truly served your country magnificiantly. Its been a privilege to have been able to read your blog.

Mission accomplished! Be Proud! You will look back on this year in Iraq...and know you were a part of history.

Godspeed!

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sminks! You can be very proud of youself and your soldiers. I'm sure all of your devoted blog-readers are.

God bless!

Fred - Milwaukee

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger MFSO-Chicago said...

Chicago/Milwaukee just got a foot of the white stuff...so bring your winter stuff when you return.

And your patience...for driving in the stuff.

Have a safe trip. Get some good rest...and keep on blogging.

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Sminkie, thou shalt not quits. I am watching you. Thine work is not donest.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at history of surfing


Keep in touch :)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger 2011bagnews said...

The explanation for the actual extended life with the merchandise Miu miu store online just isn’t dtycxy0mcb just the actual good quality of hides, while their development through SIXTY several years. Enthusiasts on this distinct manufacturer miu miu borse continues tougher as compared to actually. The actual offered and so they view every last stay miu miu glitter shoes have quite a few kinds of lists, your woman learns the concept of a – miu miu sparrow pumps . the actual miu miu matelasse bag can be quite a manufacturer in which welcome simply by almost all of consumers.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If I could save time in a bottle the first thing that I'd like
to do is to save every day until hiehwfdh eternity passes away just to spend them with you
If I could make days last forever if words could make.
Wholesale New Era Hats
Cheap 59fifty Hats
Cheap New Era Hats
New Era Snapback Hats
New Era Fitted Hats

 

Post a Comment

<< Home