In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Monday, August 15, 2005

The Cabin Quest

Since I made the decision to quit my job and dedicate every second to the completion of my novel, I’ve been searching for a quiet cabin somewhere in the woods of Wisconsin or Minnesota. While there are slews of property overlooking pristine lakes, I have not found the “one” that fits my price range. First of all, most cabins are rented by the day or week… nobody wants to stay in these things for months at a time. My goal is to watch the leaves turn and hear the birds chirp, at an affordable price, while I write away. I’ve been quoted everything from $4400 to $1200 a month.

When I ask if they give military discounts, the answer is no or “we’ll take off a day or two, bringing the total to … let’s see here … $3300.” This is where I begin to have a mild heart attack. When I talk to a friend of a friend type, I run into… “well, I’d love to help you out, but we like to go up there on the weekends.”

In two weeks, my lease runs out and I’ll either be living out of my car, writing in a cabin or back to sleeping on couches of friend’s houses. The fact of the matter is I really want to get away and enjoy nature. All my friends live in the city, and to be honest, I am due for a change of scenery. I love Milwaukee, but I’m tired of waking up at night because of the sounds of beer bottles breaking against concrete. I need some good old country life for awhile, especially while I write. But it’s not easy finding that perfect cabin. I and my detailed squad of cabin finders will keep looking, though, because that’s what we do… we don’t give up.

7 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, casanova, so you really are looking to do the Hemingway thing, eh? Don't forget your moose when you go... :) I wish I had a cabin in the woods to offer you, (hell, I wish I had a cabin in the woods, period) but all I have to offer is a country house in Texas...complete with cows and an old barn...and, you "hate Texas", don't you? That's okay, though, as long as you have a soft spot in your heart for some people from Texas......because some people from Texas have a soft spot in their hearts for you...... :) Good hunting!!! And, good writing!!!

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can probably buy a used camper trailer pretty cheap -- then you just have to find a place to park it. Probably a lot cheaper and easier than finding a real cabin.

Just this weekend I visited a town in northern Wisconsin near which my family has land. I haven't been there in several years, and going up now, I didn't even recognize the town because it's grown so much.

Northern Wisconsin is big business for vacationers. I'm not surprised you can't find a scenic cabin on the cheap. Go for a camper instead and you just might be good to go (and you'll own the camper until you sell it).

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just closed on a farm my parents gifted me so I could buy-out my business partner - over by Richland Center. Had I known... Sorry. I will keep a eye out for spot you'd enjoy.

The camper idea seemed to be a workable solution - closer to nature, ect...

Thanks, agian, for your service.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Lol...that reminds me of Thoreau in Walden Woods. You'll make it work...

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Hey Smink we got cabins out here.

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, I added you to my favorites.
If you are interested in home business work at home
, I have a home business work at home
site.
Feel free to drop by and tell me what you think.

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a live scanner texassite. It pretty much covers live scanner texas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home