In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Monday, August 22, 2005

Sports

Sports have a way of calming our society. In times of stress, an avid sports fan can get lost in the baseball statistics in the agate of his morning paper. In times of tragedy, we can take solace in the National Anthem before ball games.

One of my fondest memories of our country reuniting after Sept. 11 was seeing an American flag the size of a football field before kickoff. As a high school kid, I remember watching Oklahoma City’s AAA team and before the game, they held a moment of silence for the victims of the OKC bombing.

I believe that sports are one of the things that make our country so great. Perhaps it’s watching two teams or individuals vying to see who is best. But I like to think it’s because of the hard work before the game. And in no other entertainment venue, do you hear the National Anthem. Can you imagine anything remotely Patriotic before a movie begins?

I never feel more American than I do before a baseball game, when gentlemen take their hats off and look at Old Glory. Even as a kid, I never wanted to be late for a game because I wanted to hear those beautiful words… “Oh say can you see…”

Sports are such a large part of our society that I believe we’d be lost without them.

This line of thinking came about after I read this article about basketball coaches traveling to Kuwait to put on a clinic. It's called Operation Hardwood, an eight team tournament made up of the top basketball players stationed in Kuwait. Each team will be comprised of 13 players and coached by the best.

My hat is off to these guys. For one, it takes guts. And two, they are showing support to the men and women in uniform. And these aren’t your run-of-the mill coaches either. Each has led a team to the Big Dance, and a couple have been to the Final Four. For you non-NCAA basketball watchers, this would be the equivalent of the H&R Block CEO going to Kuwait to give classes on taxes.

Reading about this event did my heart some good… I love sports… they’ve always been there when America needed them.

5 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this is the kind of news story I like to see, Casanova. Nothing says "We're thinking about you" better than giving of your time. It's always easier to give some thing than to give of yourself. To take the time out of their busy lives to go over there to coach and spend time with the soldiers is a priceless gift. And one that the soldiers won't soon forget. My hat is off to them, too.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving Coach Gottfried the well-deserved mention. We're awfully proud of him here in Alabama. Roll Tide!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Household6 said...

This is a great article Smink!

HH6

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Cooper said...

Arrived here via politico notio.

I really liked the post below but was too late to comment. As far as sports go I can't really comment as I am not a rabid sport fanof any kind.
I do not see major league sports as anything to get all proud about these days but I do think NCAA sports have their merits.Sports do tend to unite many peoples in one nation as well as many nations.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Web Lover said...

Wanted to say -I enjoyed your Blog! I found you had alot of interesting comments here and information regarding comeback kid
I have a website **Preschool Learning Online.com** Hopefully If you get a minute or 2 you will pop by and Check It Out! There is alot of great Free Information for Parents and Kids related to comeback kid and similar bits of information.

Thanks,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home