In Iraq for 365

About my experiences in Iraq... the frustrations, the missions and this country... and the journey home

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Back to work

In the back corner of the room stood a life-size cardboard cheerleader. Taped on the fake lady’s lips, a sign read “Welcome Back!” All over the desk were balloons and candy and newsletters. As I walked into my office on my first day back to work, a weird feeling crept up into my stomach. Nobody was there to witness it; I was early and nervous about coming back to work. A small tear formed in my eye... I was happy to be back.

I returned to the halls of my work Monday. I am an account executive for a major public relations firm, where clients depend on me to be smart, creative and the best. There is something missing, because at times, I feel odd. It’s not the work that is troubling me nor is it the people… my co-workers were so supportive and thoughtful while I was in Iraq. I’m having trouble with the quietness. It’s like while I’m sitting at my desk, I’m waiting for a loud explosion or people to run through the halls, yelling “take cover.” The only thing that startles me is the phone.

I am actually very excited about returning to work, to a life of normalcy and planning lunches. Of course, what I am most looking forward to at work is initiating agency-wide pranks. On April Fools Day, nobody answered their phones. They were ready for me. But there’s always next year.

6 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you're back at BR, Casanova. It must be nice to know that you were missed. I'm sure it won't be quiet around there for long now that you're in the office again...... and, who said pranks were only acceptable on April Fools Day. Have fun!!! :)

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Kim said...

All this time I never knew what you did at your old job. That's pretty neat...

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said...

OH Smink! I am so glad to hear you are getting on with your ife. Did you think for just one minute that anyone would miss giving you the big welcome you deserve! Time just give it time! Good to hear from you!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger membrain said...

Great stuff Smink. Glad to hear you're back to work without bombs and mortars or ambushes to worry about.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

I guess it won't ever really be the same. Waiting for the first time someone drops something big near your office... Very best of luck to you, Smink. Thank you for your service.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You have good content on your blog keep up the good work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home